Monday, November 5, 2007

Oklahoma

I will admit that I am quite embarrassed to be living in the state of Oklahoma for several reasons.

The centennial celebration. So, this is the place that a large number of tribes got shoved into over a hundred years ago. And a hundred years ago the government broke yet more treaties and opened up the state to settlers. Indians aren’t really in a celebratory mood about the anniversary of this betrayal.

Ironically, Oklahoma passed HB 1804 regarding the “illegal” entry of people from Mexico and Central America. It makes it illegal to knowingly transport illegal aliens, and creates barriers to hiring illegal aliens. It also requires state contractors to check the immigration status of workers and requires proof of citizenship for those applying for certain government benefits.

So merely helping someone who is “illegal” can land you in jail here. I am pleased to see that many church folk are speaking out and saying if merely helping other people lands them in jail then, they would rather go to jail.

But I was embarassed to see Oklahoma on CNN and to know that this stupid HB is what people will know us by. Sigh.

No comments:

Cat Scratch Fever

I've changed my mind.  I'm not a bad blogger.  I was looking at the high number of drafts I have saved but haven't published.  I...