Monday, July 27, 2015

Cat Scratch Fever

I've changed my mind.  I'm not a bad blogger.  I was looking at the high number of drafts I have saved but haven't published.  I do have opinions and ideas and thoughts about lots of current events but after I rant or rave or get out my thoughts, I just get sad. About the events, about what I've said, about people in general and I just can't commit to publishing.

Well.  Last night/early this morning about 1:30 am we went out to try this pizza place that stayed open til 4:00 am.  We returned to find a little dirty kitty stretched out in the middle of the driveway of our parking garage.  He didn't move when we drove near him.  So we parked the car and went to see what happened.

He was a skinny feral cat that hissed when we got too close.  We tried to give him tuna and water but he wasn't interested. He didn't look like he had been hit by a car so we decided he was sick.  We found out there was no 24 place that would take animals and the animal shelter opened at 10 on Sunday so we managed to get him in a box and dragged him to the side so he wouldn't get run over.  

It was 5:00 am at this point. Concerned about fleas and cat illnesses, we left him in the garage with a note letting people know we would take care of him in the morning.

The next morning I went to check on him expecting him to have passed but he was still breathing.  And he was a little more rested and more spry than the few hours before.  As we stood there debating about moving the box and whether he would bite, a man stopped and asked what happened. We explained the situation and after looking in the box said he had seen the cat around for about a week.  The last couple of days the cat had been in a corner of the garage hissing at people. The garage has four levels and we live on the fourth level. The cat was on the second level which is why we wouldn't have seen him before.

We managed to get him and his box in the back seat of the car and took him to Plano Animal Shelter.  I was worried that they wouldn't care about a dirty sick feral cat but I was wrong. They talked to him and told him it would be alright.  Still we almost couldn't leave our little friend after all that but we knew he was feral so even if he got better we couldn't keep him. And as David said, we know he was probably put down.  He is not in pain anymore. Poor kitty. Sigh.

Folks, spay and neuter your pets.  

No comments:

Cat Scratch Fever

I've changed my mind.  I'm not a bad blogger.  I was looking at the high number of drafts I have saved but haven't published.  I...