Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rules and Guidelines

So, I have a lot of rules in my head. Life tends to be easier for me that way. For instance, rules about who says the mealtime prayer. General rule: If you bought the meal for everyone or if you prepared it, you can be exempt from blessing the food because you need to be blessed for the work you did with the food. After all you can't very well bless yourself, right?

 And I have a rule that for every can of diet soda I drink, I have to drink two glasses of water. When buying clothes, I need to have bonded with the article in question or I can't buy it. Meaning I have to carry it around the store and then see if I 'feel' something about it when it is time to go. I find that if I have bonded with an article of clothing then I am more likely to wear it so I don't end up buying something for the sake of buying it.

And booty calls start at 11:00pm. I actually modified that one. It used to be ten. The rule of not calling people after ten is still in effect but the hour between 10:00 and 11:00 can't truly be considered a booty call. Just rude, even if it is an emergency. And there are lots more...

Now, you might get the impression that I am neat, organized and orderly but you would be wrong. I am a total slob. But if I didn't make up rules and/or guidelines, I would get overwhelmed in my life and be reduced to doing nothing because I wouldn't know what to do. And there was probably a simpler way to explain that.

I just like having rules because then you know what is expected and when you share rules, others know what you expect of them. Things are less messy. Having said that, I don't always choose to follow my rules everytime though I generally end up falling back on them. I also have a hard time following others rules and I am not sure why that is.

I bring all this up because my former roommate, Melissa has a rule of not forgetting roommates b-days. And I didn't. I just forgot where I was in the time continuum. Melissa and I were roommates at Drew and we had a list of rules posted for us and guests to our apt. Including one about no peeing in garbage cans. And no sex on the couch. No bartering roommates for beer. And no taking Jennifer up on her offers of exploratory surgery. No one had tried to pee in the garbage cans or have sex on the couch, but I figured it should be stated as a cautionary measure. I sorta accidently tried to trade Melissa for some beer and someone actually tried to agreed to my offer of exploratory surgery.

I miss those days. :) I miss Melissa. Happy Late Birthday. I hope you had a great day out in the woods.

4 comments:

Christopher said...

For the record, I did manage to urinate slightly in your small kitchen trash can. Guess it slipped by you.

Anonymous said...

I miss you too. At least you didn't have sex on the couch...I miss the couch too.

Jon M. Richardson said...

Well, the poor couch became a casualty of South Orange life. But now Miss Lissa got a fancy brand new couch that's even better!! But to continue with the spirit of that great old couch, the new one is navy blue, too.

While everyone's missing each other, I should throw in, I miss you, too!

When I saw the title of this post, I thought it might be a reaction to my last sermon (which I see you have seen...). I hope I didn't offend you. Of course I fictionalized a little - you know - for rhetorical purposes.

It's mostly just because I'd been thinking about you a lot. Then when I had to write a sermon, you were at the front of my mind!

I'm glad your checking out my silly little blog, though. It makes me feel like I have a "readership"... both of you!

Let's talk sometime soon!!

Love ya!

emmy said...

Wait! Who is ~c. and when did he or she pee in our garbage can!! That rule was inspired by DeLyn, if I remember correctly, when she was moving in and we were establishing guidelines. And I'm pretty sure the rules said that booty calls start after 11...you must have already modified it by the time we lived together.

I do miss the couch :( But my mother wouldn't let me move it--she insisted on buying me a new one. But it was the best couch ever. I kept my pillow. Still have yours?

Thanks for the birthday post! It was the best ever :) I was reading along and had no idea it was for me until the end! I miss you too. When are we going to be roommates again??

Cat Scratch Fever

I've changed my mind.  I'm not a bad blogger.  I was looking at the high number of drafts I have saved but haven't published.  I...