Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Report from General Conference 1

I am at General Conference. Well, actually I am working at General Conference. I am one of the Secretary of the General Conference’s volunteer staff. I was not all that impressed with my status of staff but since I have been here, it has been cool. I have an all access red badge. I can go anywhere and no one will tell me no. I don’t go everywhere, I am still kinda lazy but I get tell pages and marshals what to do and they do it. Everyone else is impressed with my red badge. And that is cool, but really the Secretary of the General Conference is important, not me. But whatever. I get all the candy I want. But I am feeling kinda sick with the all the time access to candy. Endless baskets of Skittles is bad for the tum tum.

I am also working my ass off. Since Tuesday the 22nd I have been at work at 7:00am and working til 10:00 pm – 11:30 pm. Its been exhausting. But kinda fun. I am getting use to not having any of my short term memory left. Really, someone says something to me and two seconds later I have no memory of it. Its weird. I think I am missing my previous life where I woke up around 9:00am or 10:00am and took several naps during the day. Perhaps I have been preparing for this lack of sleep.

In regards to General conference reports, I would like to say that many of these people should never try stand up comedy. It is just not funny when you are reading a joke during a report or something.

I have been shadowing the Petitions Secretary and sitting in the Reference committee meetings. They decide to move things, or decide to not to move things or decide whether a petition will be voided or sent through the process. It is very exciting considering it happens at 7:00 am and everyone is tired. I found the petition process facinating. Like if you write a petition that can't easily be put in to one category, such as Church and society or local church or judicial administration etc, then it has a higher chance of getting voided because only one committee can get that petition. Common sense, I guess, but if I was writting a petition I wouldn't have considered that. And it is a pity because there were petitions that were thick and probably worked on very hard and long but they addressed too much and all that hard work was wasted. There will be more later.

No comments:

Cat Scratch Fever

I've changed my mind.  I'm not a bad blogger.  I was looking at the high number of drafts I have saved but haven't published.  I...